Expert care


Certain forms of gum inflammation can be treated by general dentists. However, many of them will refer their patients to the periodontists for evaluation, proper diagnosis, and timely treatment of more complex cases of periodontitis. In a similar way, many general dentists can place implants but will refer more complex cases to a periodontist.

If your general dentist refers you to a periodontist is clearly because the periodontist will have the professionalism, expertise, and the training necessary to treat your periodontal (gum) condition or implant care that you need.


According to the American Academy of Periodontology more than half of the American adult population present some form of periodontal disease.


Your general dentist can refer you to the periodontist if some of the following signs or symptoms are present:


• Bleeding swollen or receding gums
• Mobility in your teeth
• Pain in the gums 
• History of diabetes, respiratory disease, heart disease, stroke, osteoporosis, or cancer
• Smoking


Your general dentist can refer you to a periodontist for implant care because:


• Within the dental profession the Periodontist have the skills to handle gum and bone tissues around implants

• Periodontists have years of training in the surgical placement of implants, that general dentist do not receive.